Friday, March 20, 2009

Picadillo in PIta Bread


I came across this recipe while cleaning out my recipe file today. It brought back memories of when my Mom would make this growing up. She always served this with pita bread, sour cream and avocado slices. I don't know anything about where the recipe came from but this is what I found out about picadillo. Picadillo is a dish mainly consisting of ground beef typically found in Puerto Rico, Costa Rica, Cuba[1], Mexico, and other Latin American countries. I did have to cook my mixture for closer to 30 minutes to get all of the liquid out. Mark and I both really enjoyed this unique dinner. Our daughter liked it too. The spice combination made it very good.
1 pd ground beef
1 garlic clove crushed
1 onion chopped
1 apple peeled, cored and sliced
1/4 beef broth
1 T balsamic vinegar
1 can tomato sauce ( I used a large can)
1 ts salt
1 ts cumin
1/2 ts cinnamon
1/4 cup raisins
1/3 cup sliced almonds
3 pita pockets
sour cream and avocado on side
Cook beef, garlic and onion. Brown and then drain fat. Stir in apple, vinegar, beef broth, tomato sauce and spices. Cook 15-30 minutes to reduce and eliminate liquid. Stir in raisins and almonds. Fill each pita 1/2 full and add garnish.

2 comments:

Stacy said...

Susy, you are such an amazing cook! I love reading your blog and keeping up with all the scrumpcious new recipes you make for you family!

Jeni said...

Now this looks very yummy...I want some.

Trying New Things

This past year has been a year of change. We moved from a huge running community to an area that does not have the biking and running trails...