Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Butterflied Chicken








I am a little late in posting my Barefoot Bloggers recipe for Butterflied Chicken.
Thank you so much to Stefany over at Proceed with Caution, this was a great end of summer pick! The recipe can also be found at foodnetwork.com.
Butterflied Chicken
1/4 cup chopped fresh rosemary leaves, plus 2 sprigs
3 garlic cloves, chopped
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
Good olive oil
Kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
2 roasting chickens (2 1/2 to 3 pounds each), deboned and butterflied (I used 4 large boneless skinless breasts)
1/2 lemon, thinly sliced
Mix the chopped rosemary, garlic, lemon zest, lemon juice, 1 tablespoon olive oil, 2 teaspoons salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper together in a small bowl to make a paste.
Place the chickens on a sheet pan, skin side up, and loosen the skin from the meat with your fingers. Place 1/2 of the paste under the skin of each chicken. Rub any remaining paste on the outside and underside of the chickens.
Turn the chicken skin side down and scatter the lemon slices and sprigs of rosemary over each chicken. Season with salt and pepper. Roll each chicken up, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
Heat a grill with coals. Spread the coals out in 1 dense layer and brush the grill with oil. Unroll the chickens, place them on the grill and cook for 12 minutes on each side.
I have never deboned a chicken before and was a little scared. I received new Henckel knives for Mothers Day and they are sharp! I tried to follow the directions but it doesn't look nearly as pretty Ina's! I made the paste in my food processor and omitted the rosemary since my husband can't stand it. I substituted basil instead of rosemary. We will be having this for dinner tonight with some couscous with saffron and chives that I got from an Amish market this weekend. It tastes so good! I loved how the chicken turned out.
We had such a great Labour Day weekend. I had to do a long run this weekend so the kids and hubby joined me. They rode there bikes and my hubby ran along with me on an amazing bike trail. It was 8 miles to the next town Xenia ( the biking capital of Oh) and then back to our car. I had to do 19 so I added a few miles on during there break. We stopped and bought them pancakes for there hard work! My husband has never ran that far before and I was very impressed with his endurance. I think he needs to join me in my race in 3 weeks.
On Monday we drove to Southern Oh and visited an Amish community. It was such a pretty area. We bought some amazing things from the farmers market. They had beautiful furniture that is all handmade. There bakery offered lots of wonderful baked treats including pumpkin rolls and cinnamon buns with lots and lots of cream cheese frosting : ) We tried there Italian Cream Cake and fresh doughnuts. There were so good! http://www.ohiotraveler.com/ohio_amish_stores.htm#bakery








1 comment:

Jeni said...

Wow that wagon of tomatoes looks beautiful. You sure found some yummy food. 19 miles!!!! I am sooo proud of you. I will have to look up the exact date of the AF marathon...I will be cheering you on that day!

Trying New Things

This past year has been a year of change. We moved from a huge running community to an area that does not have the biking and running trails...