Friday, July 25, 2008

Chocolate Killer Brownies

The killer brownie Tin!

I could eat all of these with a
little help from Jonathan.
I have an obsession with chocolate. I loved living in Europe and tasting chocolate from all over the World. When I went to Belgium I ate about a million truffles. I tried dark chocolate with sea salt and am now addicted. I found this recipe on a blog called A good appetite. See recipe below. They look amazing. I can't wait to try them. My new neighbor brought me over Killer brownies from Dorothy Lane Market. http://www.dorothylane.com They are AWESOME. They must have a million calories in each one and when I finished I read that each brownie is 4 servings. Oops. Good thing I did my long run yesterday. I am up to 14 and feeling good. We are having a friend of Marks over for dinner tonight. I am making Chili pork tenderloin from Cuisine at Home, Roasted carrots, green salad, black beans, whole grain couscous and whole wheat french bread. For Dessert I made a peach and blueberry crisp from Barefoot Contessa at Home. I am excited to see how it all turns out!
Here is the recipe for the Chili Pork Tenderloin.
1/4 cup honey
2 T chili powder
juice of 1 lime
1 T chili sauce

2 lb pork tenderloin
Combine and marinate for up to 6 hours. Drain and bake in oven at 325 for 2 hours. This was so tender and good. I will be making this again. I forgot to take a picture before we ate and now it is gone.
Dark Chocolate Cupcake with Caramel Filling
1/4 c unsalted butter
1/8 c Hershey's Special Dark Cocoa Powder
3 T water
1/2 c granulated sugar
2 T well beaten egg
1/8 c plain sour cream
1/2 T vanilla
1/2 c all-purpose flour
1/4 t baking soda
1/4 t baking powder
pinch of salt
1/4 c caramel sauce
Preheat oven to 350 F. Prepare muffin tins. Melt butter in a large heavy saucepan over moderately low heat, then whisk in cocoa. Add water and whisk until smooth. Remove from heat. Whisk in separately sugar, egg, yogurt, and vanilla. Sift flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt into the cocoa mixture and whisk until just combined (it will be a little bit lumpy).Fill muffin tins to about 2/3 full for rounded cupcakes or 1/2 full for flat cupcakes. Bake for 18 - 20 minutes until a skewer or toothpick comes out clean. It's a moist cake, so don't worry if a few crumbs stick to your tester.Allow cupcakes to cool.Makes 4 - 6 cupcakes.Let the cupcakes cool completely. Fill a pastry bag with the caramel sauce & fit it with a star tip. Stick the tip into the top of a cupcake, pushing it about 3/4 inch deep (I found the perfect depth was the length of the tip). Gently squeeze the pastry bag to fill the cupcake, withdrawing it slowly as you squeeze. Scrape any excess caramel from the top of the cupcake. Fill all the cupcakes. I found the caramel settles a little & had to go back to top it off. Put the cupcakes in the fridge while making the frosting to let the caramel set.
Dark Chocolate Frosting
1/4 c unsalted butter
1/3 c Hershey's Special Dark cocoa powder
1 1/2 c powdered sugar
3 T milk
1/2 t vanilla extract
Melt butter. Stir in cocoa. Alternately add powdered sugar and milk, beating to spreading consistency. Add small amount additional milk, if needed. Stir in vanilla.About 1 cups frosting.Frost the cupcakes while the frosting is still slightly warm. Allow the frosting to cool completely in the fridge before adding the caramel swirl to the top. Sprinkle with fleur de sel right before serving if desired. These cupcakes should be stored in an airtight container in the fridge.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chocolate and salt is one of my most favorites things in the whole world ~ love it!

Every Day Gourmet said...

I have been looking everywhere for someone that sells dark chocolate with Sea Salt locally. If you hear of any good brands let me know. I miss it and won't be able to get it shipped while the weather is warm.

Jeni said...

OMG! Wish I could have tried all that. I want to try the pork recipe soon...what kind of chili sauce? Thanks for always sharing your best chocolate with me when I was in Germany. Remember that toffee your sister sent you...you can not forget that stuff! I don't think I have tried chocolate with sea salt. That was very sweet of your new neighbor to bring you a gift! They are going to LOVE having you for a neighbor!!!

Every Day Gourmet said...

I used the chili sauce in the clear bottle with green lid and it had a rooseter on the front. We found it at the commisary close to the soysauce. I wish we could share chocolate again : ) Maybe someday we can live close again!

Ellyn said...

Just saw your name on the TWD site as a "new member"!! I'm looking forward to seeing your galette post! I won't be doing the ice cream as I don't have a maker, but am looking forward to making one of the past recipes. I need to try your recipes from this post as well...they sound delicious!

Ellyn said...

Sorry, one more comment :). I just looked at the Dorothy Lane website and realized it's near you! When I come visit, can we go? What I would give to have something like that in Cheyenne....but we are getting a Great Harvest Bread Co. does that count?!

Every Day Gourmet said...

when you come visit I will stock you up on Killer brownies. It is more of a Gourmet Market but offers cooking classes and has an amazing bakery!

Trying New Things

This past year has been a year of change. We moved from a huge running community to an area that does not have the biking and running trails...