Thursday, October 9, 2008

Butternut Squash Risotto tastes even better then it sounds!


I had to thin it with extra chicken stock at the end.

Roasted squash

Rachel of Rachel Likes to Cook chose today's recipe for Butternut Squash Risotto. I was very interested in how this recipe was going to work. I was surprised at how easy it was. The stirring the chicken stock into the rice was the biggest part of the recipe. The prefect risotto has always scared me. I tasted awesome risotta on our trips to Italy. I have attempted it a couple times before but never with butternut squash and bacon. I made some chicken stock in the morning to use in the recipe. I par cooked the squash before roasting it. It really helped save on time when I was making this. The butternut squash was awesome. I am going to try my squash roasted next time as a side dish! It was sweet and salty at the same time and had a great caramelized flavour from roasting it in the oven. My husband and I both loved this recipe. We had enough left for leftovers for several days. My husband took it to work the next day and people were asking for samples of it because it smelled so good. Ina always has such great recipes. I can't wait for her new book to come out. I pre-ordered mine and am hoping that it will ship soon! If you want to check out the other Barefoot Bloggers http://www.barefootbloggers.wordpress.com/ .

7 comments:

Ellyn said...

You are too funny, pre-ordering your book :)! Actually I might have to spend some b-day money on it!! We are going to the Melting Pot for dinner on Saturday. Have you been to one, this will be my first time, so I'm pretty excited to see how it is! Great job on the risotto by the way!

Every Day Gourmet said...

You will love the Melting Pot! Mark left hungry but that is because he is such a big eater. I loved all the variety of sauces that you get and you have to try the chocolate fondue!

Prudy said...

Wasn't this fantastic? My hubby took it for lunch too. Lucky guys.

Anonymous said...

Looks good! Glad you liked it!
~Cat

Suzie said...

love roasted squash too - in fact I couldn't stop nibbling mine when it came out of the oven.

webbie said...

I love Ina and her recipes never fail. Glad you enjoyed it.

Jeni said...

I have never tried anything like this. You are very gourmet! Those apple turnovers are on my list to make. Plus I want to try a pumpkin cheesecake. I can't believe the deal you got on that potterybarn store. You are so lucky to live by that. I bet your kids rooms are looking so cute.

Trying New Things

This past year has been a year of change. We moved from a huge running community to an area that does not have the biking and running trails...